PLAYSOCCER Spring 2018 – Tara Collingwood
Nutritionist Tara Collingwood has some suggestions for what to eat on game day and post practice
Tara Collingwood is a Sports Nutritionist and the Team Dietician for the Orlando Magic. She advises athletes and their families of all ages on the best foods for optimal performance.
Carbohydrate rich snack or meal that includes some protein and is low in fat and fiber for optimal digestion.
3- 4 HOURS BEFORE START
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich, apple slices and low-fat milk
- Turkey wrap with cheese, fruit and fat-free yogurt
- Fruit and Greek yogurt smoothie with lowfat granola
- Lean hamburger on bun with lettuce and tomato and yogurt with fruit
30- 60 MINUTES BEFORE START
- Piece of fruit or fruit jam sandwich
Fluids – water, drinks with carbohydrates and electrolytes and carbohydrate rich foods.
- Bread or roll with jam or honey
- Low-fat granola or sports bar
POST GAME or PRACTICE
Carbohydrate, protein, fruit/vegetable, fluids.
WITHIN 30 MINUTES
- Low-fat Chocolate Milk
2 HOURS AFTER
- Whole wheat pita bread with lean meat, veggies, pretzels, and low-fat milk.
- Stir fry with lean protein veggies and brown rice and ice tea/water.
Low-fat chocolate milk contains what research suggest is an ideal 3:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein that may help refuel and restore exhausted muscles.