AYSO is proud to offer a very special program for developmentally disabled children and adults. Our VIP (Very Important Player) program provides a safe, fun environment with trained coaches, VIP Buddies, and volunteers who facilitate an enriching experience that the players and their families will cherish forever.
What is AYSO VIP?
The mission of the AYSO VIP Program is to provide a quality soccer experience for individuals whose physical or mental disabilities make it difficult for them to successfully participate on mainstream soccer teams. Successful participation is defined by the player’s enjoyment and the safety of all team members.
What is a VIP Buddy?
VIP Buddies assist during the games in which players learn soccer while meeting new friends, having fun and increasing skills and self-esteem. Players and their families, along with our volunteers, enjoy the complete AYSO experience – team uniforms, scoring goals, cheering from the sidelines, and beyond! The vision of the AYSO VIP Program is to create teams in every AYSO Region to maximize opportunities for VIP player participation.
What are the VIP Goals and Objectives?
Goal: Players will have fun playing soccer
- To introduce all skills by using games
- To allow players to set the pace
- To relax and be flexible
- To keep everything positive
Goal: Players will understand the fundamentals of the game
- To give each player plenty of opportunities to play the ball
- To build skills on the success of previously learned skills
- To involve family members in learning soccer fundamentals
Goals: Players will learn teamwork and fair play
- To build teamwork and fair play into practice sessions
- To encourage team identity by wearing uniforms and participating in team get-togethers
- To reward positive effort when teamwork and fair play are observed
Goal: Players will increase their self-esteem
- To establish individual, realistic goals with players
- To encourage effort toward goals, no matter how small
- To recognize player effort and achievement
Goal: Players will become more physically fit
- To encourage maximum participation in physical movement for each player at his or her level
- To facilitate player participation in off-season physical activities or sports
Goal: Players will meet and be comfortable with new people
- To encourage parents to play a supportive, not active, role during games
- To facilitate the development of positive player relationships with buddies and other volunteers
- To utilize community helpers