90-Second Marketing Plans
Come Back to AYSO
- People (your target customer):
Kids and parents that have previously played in your AYSO Region but have not returned. They may departed soccer completely or have joined another soccer program.
- Product (it's more than playing soccer):
The right place for every kid to play soccer and really have fun!
- Place (where do they find your program?):
At a convenient local soccer field.
- Price (it makes a big difference!):
Affordable! (Especially when compared to club soccer programs!!)
- Promotions (this includes advertising and other ways to communicate and influence.)
Here are sample ideas. You may have different or better ones...try any or all!
- Send out "Come Back" postcards. To your entire mailing list of non-returning players of the last two years. Many will be returned as non-deliverable (people move, etc.) but many more will get through. Pick any of the star player templates in the toolkit. Consider Shannon Boxx or Julie Foudy for your girls and Landon Donovan or Carlos Bocanegra for your boys. You can pull by gender from eAYSO.
- Send "Come Back" emails. To your entire email list of non-returning players of the last two years. Email addresses age out rapidly, but many will still get through. Choose a different player than your "Come Back" postcard so they realize how many stars are encouraging them to come back to AYSO. Again, consider gender-specific. eAYSO is great for this.
- Distribute the Landon, Shannon or Carlos "Come Back" template fliers at soccer fields where other programs play. If a player has been riding the bench or hasn't had a fun experience, they may remember AYSO very fondly! Slip them under the wiper blade of cars in the parking lot. But do be respectful. Don't push if they ask you not to promote AYSO at their venue.
- Distribute the Landon, Shannon or Carlos "Come Back" fliers at other local community sports venues such as baseball, basketball or lacrosse. Kids move on to try other sports, but they may have played AYSO and remember it fondly. Remind them of how fun it was! But ditto on being respectful and graciously departing if they don't want you at their venue.
- Advertise with a 'Come Back' ad in your local community newspaper. The Come Back alumni ads are very eye catching. Use local shoppers, community papers and other low-cost local media. Speak with them about getting a story in on your registration dates and locations. If you have also run a Register Now ad in the paper, choose a different player to feature in your Come Back ad.
- Send out a short announcement with information on registration to all local community newspapers, shoppers, etc. Call and find out who to send it to and how they like to receive it (via email, by regular mail, fax, hand delivered) and follow their instructions. Don't forget to list in local community calendar and listing sections.
- Have a "forward to a friend" campaign. Send out the "Come Back" broadcast email to your current families with a note to forward it to a friend who they'd like to have come back to AYSO.
- Use school newspapers. Run the 'Come Back' ad in student AND parent publications.
- Registration yard signs. Put them on the lawns of all the Region Board members and any other willing volunteer or parent (send out an email to your list asking them to reply if they're willing to have it on their lawn for the two weeks prior to registration events.) Other kids live on that block, too!
- Registration banners on fencing. Around schools, parks, shopping areas, churches and other locations where kids and parents may see them (always ask permission first!)
- Make sure your Region website is current. Update registration dates, locations, ages, cost, etc. right on the homepage. Make sure your Region website address is on EVERY flyer, ad, poster or other registration information item. They'll want to go to your website for more details. And that reduces calls and emails to you!
Want more ideas? View our other 90-Second Marketing Plans!